Tuesday 25 September 2012

Enid Blyton IV - The Eileen Soper bit

This weekend we finally visited the last place on our Enid Blyton trail - 'Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds' in Poole. A sweet little museum dedicated to the illustrator of many of Enid Blyton's books. The museum has it's own mystery in the secret passage with a torch pen to hunt for clues. The little jammers loved it, particularly becasue of the darkness - very important in a mystery.
Once you've solved the mystery and emerge into daylight there are plenty of old fashioned scenes to play in. the jammers favourite had to be the caravan. emily Button made a friend and little Jam poured copious cups of tea inside
and out in the pretend camp. This is the kind of play my girls love and they would have been content for hours had we not dragged them off to see the rest.
Virtually all of it is hands on so they played the piano, typed on the typewriter, played shops (love those Avery scales) and explored the vintage toys and games.
I popped into the 'cinema' and watched a little film about Eileen Soper. I remember her illustrations from books I read as a child but didn't know anything about her and her amazing wildlife garden until now. She sounds like she was a fantastically eccentric woman!
 
In amongst it we remembered we were hunting for the final clue and found it hidden away. I love the fact that the trail has not been easy peasy and I struggled to spot one clue (I wont tell you which one)!
So clues all found we had a grid reference and luckily there was a map in the museum. Eldest Jammer told us where we needed to go to find the hidden postbox.
 Off we drove until...
 We finished the final stage on foot!
The baddies had been well and truly caught
and we posted our entries with a little help from our friend.
Now all we need to do is keep our fingers crossed.
I'll be back with some Emily Button news later in the week.
x
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. What a lovely adventure you've taken your children on, I just wish more parents were encouraging their children's imaginations as much! Sadly, this is becoming less and less common. They will remember this forever! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great day out. I love Eileen Soper's illustrations but don't know anything about her other than her drawings were fabulous. I think I prefer her illutrations to that of Margaret Tarrant who is probably better known.
    Enjoy the rest of the week and hope you haven't got too much rain.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Enid Blyton and I've loved following the trail with you and your lovely daughters, and Emily Button of course. My Mother has a book called Wildings by Duff Hart-Davis about Eileen Sopers wildlife garden - thought you might be interested. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great day, and so lovely photographs with the kids.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos!! That little tea party looked divine... I wish I would have been there for it :) ... I've added you to my blog, as I my daughter and I will love seeing what's going on with you and your daughters!! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely adventures, what a wonderful day, I still have my Enid Blyton story books, and still read them on a cold winters afternoon...Thank you for sharing
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely that the museum was so hands-on. It looks like you all had a wonderful time. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I love to read your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...