Monday 28 January 2013

The Dorset 'Shirefolk'

Back before Christmas I bought some lovely old nursery curtains at the flea market. They were quite expensive so I tried some desperate haggling as it was a print I'd had before but in a colourway I'd not seen before. You know what it's like when you know you can't go home without something or you'll think about it forever after, don't you? Please tell me it's not just me!
Christmas took over and then a couple of weeks ago I got chopping.
The fabric is 'Shire Folk' by Burgess Ledward and has lovely pictures of little critters going about their daily business. 
Well you can see.
 
  I'll let them do the talking. Hedgie and Moley that is.
I made a quilt teamed with grey polka dots and backed in a pink vintage wool blanket. The squares are all finished with individual buttons at the corners.
A pair of cushions backed in green wool this time. Trimmed with polka dot ribbons in pink or grey and wooden buttons.
Now adorning a sleigh bed in my antique centre unit!
I'll leave you with a similar cot bed sized version I made and sold several years ago in a different colourway.
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! The quilts and cushions are gorgeous.
    I know exactly what you mean when you see something and you know just cannot go home without it!
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful! I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the quilt is just gorgeous - very unusual fabric.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely - I bet you could write a story about that fabric, after all Hedgie and Moley are having a right old natter about something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you created out of those sweet curtains.....clever! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was definitely a "must have" and I love the quilt and cushions someone is going to be very pleased with them, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ellie,
    Love that quilt especially the badger (my hubby's nickname!)......MUST get on with my sister's quilt that I want to do her.
    Thanks so much for the Alpine Lodge messenger Bag..........LOVE IT! Going to lots of use out of it I know
    Best wishes for the week ahead
    Natalie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! They are wonderful, you find the nicest prints, then work your magic on them! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the seeing it and knowing it can't be left behind without a "I should have bought that" moment. Love the print and your makes!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, all too beautiful! Those quilts are so nostalgic and pretty xox Penelope
    ps. I have almost finished your gloves, when you have a mo please email me your address x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely print. So gorgeous, no wonder you had to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog and very nice works you've got in there. I was wondering if you can give me an idea on Dorset holidays. What should I be expecting?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I love to read your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...